The Spirit Models and Promotions Agency

Friday 7 September 2012

Spirit Model of the month: Ashlie Lamb



Ashlie has been represented by Spirit Models for the past two years and has been one of our most popular models so far with appearing in Chimp magazine, the Blood and Ink book and walking for the Paul Mitchell show in 2010.

Tell us a bit about yourself.
I’ve been modeling for about 7 years, mainly alternative but I have done bits of mainstream work. I am also a trained fire breather and performer.<strong></strong>

What are your ambitions for your modeling career?
I want to do more promotional and catwalk work. I love being part of the team and meeting new people.  I like the chaos of catwalk, and promotional work is always fun and unpredictable.

I’d also like to do more tattoo related work, whether that is promotional at conventions and festivals or modeling for magazines.  I love tattoos and I really want to be more involved in the community. &amp; in an ideal world I’d love to work for Vivienne Westwood , Famous Stars and Straps or Jean Paul Gaultier!!

How did you get into modeling and why choose the Alternative genre?
I was approached to model for an alternative glamour website, I’d never done any shoots before but I was excited to give it a go. I loved it and I got bitten by the bug.  It was before I had my sleeve and I was still seen as quite commercial but with ‘an edge’ &amp; I was signed to a mainstream glamour agency. They  were getting me work with the main lads mags and national newspapers, but it didn’t have the same appeal to me. It was the jobs where I could be me and incorporate my tattoos and style that I enjoyed the most, so I decided to focus on the alternative industry.  It was here that I had the most fun and felt at home. I could be me and not be judged for it, or try and be molded into something that I did not class myself to be.

How is it affected your life so far?
It has changed every aspect of my life.  Before I started modeling I had just graduated from Uni and wasn’t sure what I wanted to do.  I just instantly took to modeling and had so much fun.  I got to travel around the country, make so many new friends and experience so many amazing situations. When I started performing and learnt fire breathing it opened even more doors and I got to meet bands and celebrities and attend some amazing parties.  The main affect it’s had is on my confidence: I’m proud and happy just being me. I now know that people will respect me and appreciate me for who I am, and if I look a little different from the average then that is not necessarily a negative.

How would you best describe your personal style?

It’s a bit of a cliché but I’m just me. I don’t really fit into any style or genre – sometimes I wish I did, as it would be easier. But I just dress how I want. I think because I have such an eclectic dress sense that’s why I’m classed as alternative.  One day I can have big backcombed hair, DMs &amp; torn up jeans, the next I’ll be in dresses and heels.  Each day I look different, it just depends on my mood.  I like to think I dress fun &amp; quirky. I like taking risks: sometimes they work, sometimes I look back and cringe. I also like change and change my hair colour and style every few months. Along with my tattoos, my hair is what I’m known for.

My first tattoo was a giraffe. Random! I was 18 and had wanted a tattoo for years and just picked one right off the tattoo shop wall. But it’s special to me &amp; I still love it.

I mainly have stars. I have them on my arm, my back, my stomach, and my legs. There’s no reason behind them, I just like stars. People will tend to know me by my tattoos now before they’ll know my name.

My favorite tattoos are the ‘our lady of Guadelupe’ on my forearm as I had it done as a memorial for my nan, and the tattoo of my son’s name on my back.  I think it’s a great tribute to how much you love someone that you mark it on your body

Have you ever found it hard to get work because of your tattoos?
I wouldn’t say it’s been a regular thing but it has happened.  But it’s like everything in modeling world: you aren’t gonna be right for everything.  For every job that doesn’t want tattooed models, there’ll be several that will.  The jobs that don’t allow them are not usually the type of jobs I’d go for, so I don’t see it as a great loss.  Models in the mainstream will be turned down because they are too short, or don’t have natural breasts so I don’t think it’s a prejudice against alternative models, it’s just part of the industry.

What is your personal view of the alternative modeling scene?
I’m glad that it is finally getting the recognition it deserves.  It’s been classed as ‘amateur’ for too long.  There are so many gorgeous and talented alternative models out there that are finally being represented positively.  I think the alternative scene is a nicer place than the mainstream. There doesn’t seem to be as much bitching and rivalry (although of course that is always gonna be in this line of work) and I feel that other models support and are interested in my career, and I am with theirs.  Everyone has their own strengths and appeal, so everyone is competing on their own merits as opposed to against each other.  Also many alternative models have other talents such as firebreathing, burlesque, pole and angle grinding; so they can bring a lot more to a job.

What does the term ‘Alternative’ mean to you?
Alternative means ‘being me.’ It means everyone else just being themselves. Doing whatever makes you happy and enables you to express yourself.  Alternative may mean different but it doesn’t mean bad. Different is attractive.  Being able to be who you want to be, makes you feel better and that can definitely be seen on the outside.  This inner confidence is so important in modeling and I think a lot of alternative models have this in abundance.

Have your friends and family supportive of your career? What was their reaction?
Before I even started modeling I remember my mum saying “If you decided to model I’d support you. …but don’t ever go on XFactor cos you’ve got an awful voice”

Most of my family and friends have been supportive. There was one person who tried and very nearly succeeded in stopping me from modeling, but it forced me to take a deeper look at myself and realise how much I wanted to not only carry on but to branch out further. So in hindsight this actually improved things for me.

Everyone else is really supportive though; whether its offering me places to stay when I have to travel for shoots, acting as babysitters or just encouraging me. They are always excited to see new pictures and I’m really lucky to have their backing, as I really wouldn’t have been able to do this without them.

What obstacles would you say you have had to overcome to be successful in your career?
I used to, and still do at times, lack confidence and it would stop me from applying for jobs. I’d be scared of rejection and would convince myself before I even applied that I wouldn’t get it.  But now I just think what do I have to lose? In my experience I’ve been lucky that if I didn’t get the job I initially went for, I would usually be approached to do another job that the team were casting. I know now that I have to put myself out there to meet people and get involved in networking as this is how the industry get to know your face.

What has been the most special, memorable, highlight or most unique experience during your modeling career?
There’s been so many amazing moments from dancing on a bar with Fuel Girls to leaping around a stage dressed as a peacock for Paul Mitchell.  Being published in a tattoo book was however quite special for me, as this is what I am interested to get more involved in.  I went into a tattoo studio in Liverpool recently and there  I was grinning back at myself from the table. It was a real ‘yay’ moment and has encouraged me to keep going, as I now know that my ambitions can, and already are being achieved.


Sapphira from Spirit is a big inspiration as she’s a successful model who knows the industry, and is putting that all back into Spirit Models.  She giving alternative models a voice and is representing them in the serious way they should be. It’s without a doubt in part down to Sapphira that alternative models are starting to be taken seriously and considered on par with mainstream models.  I’m interested in one day getting into the ‘behind the scenes’ workings of the modeling industry, so it’s interesting to watch Sapphira build up the agency.

Is there a particular model/photographer/designer you would like to work with?
I love Dave La Chapelle. I love his ideas, his techniques, his style. I could look at his work all day – and sometimes do, as I have it on my walls.  To work with him would be a dream.

Vivienne Westwood is my favorite designer, so I’d love to model for her, or even just meet her. I’d also love to model for Famous Stars and Straps. Their models are always so gorgeous and sexy, the clothes are so cool and it looks fun! Also meeting Travis Barker would be a bonus.

Do you have a sideline career and if so what do you do?
I’m a full time mum to my 20 month old son, so that takes up the majority of my time and is arguably the best job there is. So between that and modeling, I think I’m quite lucky!

What advice could you give new models?
Take it seriously! The days of taking a picture of yourself in underwear, posting it online and considering yourself a model have gone! It upsets me when people still do this as it ruins everything that alternative models have worked hard for, to be taken seriously.

Learn the industry and network. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and be yourself. Just do it all safely. Be prepared to work hard and know that there will be ups and downs. But mainly just have fun. Not everyone gets to experience it so enjoy it and appreciate it because it’s amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment